Job Opportunity - Organizer-in-Training (American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees)
Decent health care. Better pay and benefits. Dignity and a voice. There are plenty of reasons to join a union today. But many people don't have a union where they work. That's why we have to join together and find power through organizing. AFSCME organizers are committed to helping workers gain power on the job.
The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) is the nation's largest public service labor union and a leader in the fight for social and economic change. All across the country we're fighting for dignity and respect for the people who do the toughest jobs in America.
AFSCME has openings for Organizers-in-Training (OIT) in several states across the country, including Washington, Northern California, Colorado, Michigan, Kentucky, and Maryland. Below is a description of our program.
• The Organizer-in-Training program is an intensive training program designed for participants to learn the fundamentals of building worker power through union organizing.
• Throughout the year-long program OITs participate in a mix of intensive and interactive classroom training combined with hands-on field training.
• Trainees learn the nuts and bolts of an organizing campaign from talking one-on-one with workers, to developing leaders and organizing direct actions.
• Candidates are placed on active campaigns with experienced organizers who provide mentoring and one-on-one training throughout the program.
• OITs come from diverse backgrounds of work, organizing and academic experience.
Organizers-in-Training must have:
• Passion for social and economic justice and the ability to articulate that passion;
• A social justice activism track record;
• Ability and desire to work something other than a 9 to 5 job and the ability to work nights and weekends;
• A valid driver's license;
• Ability and desire to travel extensively, up to months at a time. Possible relocation.
• Bilingual skills a plus.
Salary starts at $34,409 with family health coverage, a car allowance, twelve paid holidays, 401k, pension plan and more.
Women, people of color and LGBT people are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information, send inquiries to email@example.com. Visit our website at www.afscmeorganizers.org to fill out an online application.